Donate
24/7
Koala Rescue
(02) 6622 1233

News

Wild Koala

Primex Connecting with Rural Communities

What better place to connect with the rural community then at one of the country’s leading primary industries expos – Norco Primex, Australia’s sustainable farming and primary industries expo. Since white settlement in Australia, 80 per cent of koala’s natural habitat has been destroyed and much of the remaining 20 per cent occurs on privately … Read more

51167219818_9a4175e38b_k

Lupita Leaves the Nest

Lupita came into care in November 2020, when she was only 10 months old. She was found alone on the ground, in Tomewin in the Tweed Shire, covered in ticks and blood. The owner of the property called our Rescue Hotline and Lupita, due to her proximity, was taken to Currumbin Wildlife Hospital for a … Read more

FOK 30-05-2022 29 Nexus and Keogh

Faces of FOK: Q&A with Konrad

How long have you been with FOK?I’ve been here since October 2019 when we were hit by the bushfires. I started off as a koala carer and then I moved into a supervisor role. Earlier this year, I also started doing some lab work with the IFAW Sponsored Vet team as part of the internship … Read more

Friends Of The Koala

Koala joey with blind mum gets a second chance after being rescued

On May 28th, a member of the public found a disoriented koala mother with a joey in her pouch in Woodenbong, northern New South Wales. The koalas were taken to the Friends of the Koala hospital where our International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)-sponsored vet team conducted thorough health checks. Tests revealed the adult koala, named Venus, was completely … Read more

Friends Of The Koala

Faces of FOK: Q&A with Lee

How long have you volunteered with FOK and how did you get involved? I started with Friends of the Koala December last year. I got involved because of a friend who was volunteering already. I had just finished at TAFE and applied to volunteer here too. I began volunteering on the afternoon care shift where we clean … Read more

Vik-21

Faces of FOK: Q&A with Vik

What is your role? As Volunteer Coordinator, my role includes the recruitment and induction of new volunteers, maintaining our volunteer database, keeping new and existing volunteers up to date and informed about what is going on at FOK and ensuring that new volunteers receive effective training for their roles. A big part of what I do is matching volunteers … Read more

Doninque Baly IG (1)

Faces of FOK: Q&A with Dominique

What is your FOK story and when did you join? This is my second year volunteering with Friends of the Koala, I started in February 2020. I first started doing work with the Nature Conservation Council and in around 2019, we were doing a campaign for the state election about the forestry agreements and those … Read more

Faces of FOK: Q&A with Heather

What is your FOK Story?    Well, I retired and went on a big trip. And then when I came back, I realised what I wanted to do more than anything is get trees in the ground. I knew Mark Wilson the Nursery Manager and about the nursery at Friends of the Koala, so I came to volunteer. They desperately … Read more

FOK Nursery Opening 28-4-2012 16 (1)

Bushfire Recovery Nursery Officially Launched

This week we officially launched our Bushfire Recovery Nursery, made possible by the Foundation for National Parks and Wildlife (FNPW). The new nursery site extends our current capacity, enabling us to propagate and distribute 240,000 koala food tree seedlings over the next 3 years. This is a major step towards supporting the recovery of critically impacted koala … Read more

FOK-26-4-2021-97-Summer

Our Team is Growing

Since starting late last year, we have overseen some exciting growth in our staff team. Jackie Reed (Superintendent Vet) and Richard Atkin (Change Manager) have been working closely to scale the vet services team with support from the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) who fund all FOK’s costs relating to vet capacity. We’ve recently welcomed … Read more