For over 35 years, Friends of the Koala have been working towards positive outcomes for koalas. On average, we tend to 400 koalas each year, which is approximately 50% of the sick, injured and orphaned koalas rescued in NSW. We receive no ongoing government funding so rely almost entirely on the generosity of people like you to fund our vital work.
Your donation will:
- Support the life-saving work of our Hospital – including the rescue, rehabilitation and wherever possible release of koalas back to the wild.
- Contribute to habitat restoration efforts within the Northern Rivers region.
- Support education initiatives which aim to increase awareness and understanding of the threats facing koalas and what we need to do to conserve the species.
- Assist with research – work with universities, research organisations, other wildlife organisations to collect information and gather the data-based knowledge to help koalas survive.
Friends of the Koala Inc. is listed in the Register of Environmental Organisations. All donations over $2 are tax deductible (in Australia). LEARN MORE
You can support our work, by Adopting a Koala. Funds raised through the Adopt a Koala program support the costs associated with rescuing sick, injured and orphaned koalas as well as habitat restoration activities. All adoption packages are a single payment and last for 12 months from the date of purchase. LEARN MORE
As a not-for-profit, we rely largely on donations to fund our work. Fundraising and donation drives are a great way to support koalas and create awareness of their plight in your local community. So if you’re interested in fundraising on your own, or are a community group, school, workplace, or club, contact us and make a difference.
You could leave a bequests to help fund koala conservation in the Northern Rivers. As an independent, not-for-profit organisation, Friends of Koala relies upon community support for its continued existence. As well as care of sick and injured koalas, Friends of Koala plays an active role in promoting habitat restoration in the Northern Rivers region and supports research, in particular in the prevalence of disease in koala populations and in mapping current koala populations and their distribution.
A bequest is for those who value the work Friends of Koala does for the hundreds of koalas rescued and rehabilitated by us each year. A gift in your will to Friends of Koala will support the aid, assistance, protection and welfare of these iconic Australian animals.
To make a bequest
To comply with a number of legal requirements, it is highly recommended that you consult with a solicitor in regards to preparation of a will so that the intentions of your bequest are clear.
Subject to advice from a solicitor, Friends of Koala suggest an inclusion in your will of the following:
“I BEQUEATH to Friends of Koala of Rifle Range Rd, East Lismore, for the general purpose of Friends of Koala (insert here the sum of the bequest or a statement defining the bequest) free of all duties and taxes payable at my death, AND I DECLARE that the receipt of the Treasurer for the time being of Friends of Koala shall be a sufficient discharge to my Trustee(s).”
There are a number of ways to make your bequest to Friends of Koala:
- Leave a nominated portion or a fixed percentage of your estate to Friends of Koala
- Leave a specific gift to Friends of Koala such as money, property, shares, insurance policies, jewellery or anything of value.
- Leave the residue of your estate to Friends of Koala after specific bequests and gifts have been left to family and friends
- Leave your entire estate to Friends of Koala. This occurs when there are no living relatives and the Benefactor wishes to achieve something significant with their estate.
If you would like further information about Friends of Koala, or would like to discuss any proposed bequest, please visit our contact page.